Saturday, June 28, 2008

Lisa Does Dallas?

Get your mind out of the gutter.....

If you have been watching the news you likely heard that my employer is moving its headquarters from San Antonio to Dallas. My whole department is moving and yes, that means my job is moving too.

My options?

1. Sell my house and move to Dallas with my job. (I don't know yet when my group has to report in Dallas, I should know more over the next few weeks.)

2. Decline to move and take severance and hope to find a job with the same or near same salary. But more than likely, any job I find in San Antonio will require a significant pay cut. And I can't afford that but I am going to see what, if anything, is available...to appease my mom and roommate!

My immediate reaction upon hearing the news on Friday afternoon was "oh shit" and then I wanted to cry just thinking about leaving my family (specifically my niece and nephews) behind. Thankfully it's just Dallas -- 4 hours by car, 1 hour by plane. It could have been worse, we could be going to Atlanta or New Jersey. So I am counting my blessings. But it still sucks. As I did a quick search for rental homes and apartments last night, I felt like I was going to throw up. It's all surreal. I never thought I'd have to leave San Antonio.

While I have it easier than most... no children or husband to uproot, it is affecting my roommate and I will have to leave the dogs behind with her. As I type this, Mr. Darcy is barking at his brother for having the "good" bone....yeah, I won't miss the noise. :)

Everyone is taking the news in stride, especially Christy and Jamie who think this was God's plan for me and that my husband is in Dallas! However, I don't think the twins realize yet how far away I'll be and that they won't be able to call me and ask "can you come over" anymore. But now they can come visit me and I'm sure I'll be home every other weekend for a long time. I'll be racking up some good frequent flyer miles on Southwest! And my new laptop has a built-in webcam and mic so I'm gonna sign up for Skype and get Christy and Michelle hooked up so when I need a family fix I can just hop online.

My dad's two older brothers are also in the D/FW area, along with my cousins, so I have family nearby. I also have Matt, my K-Town friend, and of course all the coworkers who are going to follow their jobs, so I won't be alone in a big new city.

Another thing to be thankful for? Employee benefits = free long distance!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it would be a most exciting time, you seem to always be up to a new adventure. I say do it!

Christy said...

You shouldn't even bother looking for other jobs in San Antonio. It's time to cut the cord, the family will be just fine and you will be too! You have something allowing you (actually pushing you) to open a new chapter, that's so exciting and I'm sort of jealous since I want to leave SA one day. And it's ONLY DALLAS?!?!? You've been too set in this life, and you are the most independent of all of us.. and you need a change of scenery...I think it's the best thing for you and so does Rob, we both know you will find your husband in Dallas!

I'll help you pack! And seriously I'm not trying to get rid of you or anything, I'm the outcast anyway, I only see you every couple of weeks anyway so I'm not as bad off as Michelle is right now!! :)

laurie said...

A few things:

1 - for the record, you would like Atlanta. haha

2 - When I got laid off, it completely changed the path of my career, and my life. If I hadn't, I'd still be doing computer work somewhere.. (yuck). But instead, I was forced to change, and it was the best thing that ever happened. Because of it, I went back to grad school, and am now living in friggin Tokyo! (see my point?!) It all goes back to that one pivotal event.

3 - This is an incredible opportunity. I totally get the whole family-thing-close-by (BOY, do I get that!), but webcams are something great. And you're right, a 1 hour flight is nothing.

I wouldn't necessarily say your Future Mr. de la Garza is there - but WHAT IF Future Lisa is there! She might be phenomenal there!!

I am sooo rooting for you. This is a big...life-changing...decision. Just make sure you keep all of your options opened. Your sis is right - you were born to spread your wings a little bit!! I'm thinking of you and can't wait to hear what you decide (of course will support you either way!)

Coco said...

That sucks that you have to make a decision like this, but you're right to look at the good side. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little upset that you're moving (I almost never see you as it is) but Dallas is still fairly close and who knows what's in store for you there.