Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Movie Reviews a la Lisa

One of my many hobbies is movie watching. I LOVE movies. I'm a fan of most all types of movies and consider myself a great movie critic because unlike the people who get paid to review movies, I'm there for the entertainment factor only. So, from time to time I will blog about the movies I've seen recently....in case you haven't seen the movie yet yourself. I won't rate the movies with stars, thumbs or jalepeno's...if I say I want to buy it, then that means this movie is all that and a bag of chips, er...popcorn.

Here we go....

Last Friday, because I got the afternoon off (gotta love the Battle of Flowers parade!) I took my "babies", the twins to see Disney's Meet the Robinson's (PS. you'll see me refer to my babies alot...but you know I don't have any children so you might be confused. My babies are my nephews and niece...I couldn't love them any more had I birthed them myself so they are "my babies."). I had already heard that the movie was good and since the twins hadn't seen it yet, I thought it would be fun to take them. So off we go, and after spending $25 for food and drinks (to which Ethan commented "that's crazy" as he munched on his popcorn and skittles) we got our seats. I was surprised that it was quite packed considering that the movie has been out for a while. I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!!! It was soooo much better than I was expecting it to be. The twins seemed to be completely engrossed with it... but I found out afterwards that it kinda went over Isaiah's head (it has a "back to the future" theme.) He said "I didn't get it, I just kept watching and eating my popcorn" ...once I explained it in 6 year old terms he understood it better. This is a keeper movie...I will buy it when it comes out.

The Queen --- since I was being lazy I bought the movie while at Walmart instead of stopping to rent it. It was a good price and I figured I would like it enough. And I did...it was good. Was it "Best Movie" Academy Award material? No. But I can see why Helen Mirren won for Best Actress. She nailed the character of the Queen on the head, it was kinda eery. If you'd like to borrow my copy just let me know!

I also bought "Night at the Museum" for the twins because I love that movie so much (we saw it in the theater when it first came out.) If you haven't seen it yet, you must. It's a great family movie but adults might love it even more. It is so frickin' funny.

I went on a recent "Hollywood Video" binge and rented 3 movies last Saturday night. Here they are:

Notes on a Scandal -- good movie. Judi Dench is a crazy biatch in this movie and she plays it perfectly! I have loved Cate Blanchett ever since she did "Elizabeth" and she impressed me again in this movie. You feel for her and get pissed at her all at once. Worth a watch.

Freedom Writers -- Oh-my-gawd-you-have-got-to-see-this-movie! It was so touching and so moving...I cried several times and so totally did not expect to cry at this one! Very good, very good.. I want my teenage nephews to see it for the message it sends..and it's based on a true story so that's even better!

Last King of Scotland -- I rented this one mainly to watch Forest Whitaker's Oscar winning performance, and I have to agree that he was amazing. I had no expectations of the movie, but I was pleasantly surprised. Not a bad movie....it's worth a rent.

That's all for now folks. I hope my review was helpful!

1 comments:

Rob & Christy said...

We loved "Meet the Robinsons" too (and we spent more on food which is ridiculous; I've got to take a loan out to take my family to the movies)!!

One suggestion, tell us a little bit about what the movie is..for example, I have no idea what Freedom Writers is about, but I think I want to see it because you like it so much...I think we generally have the same taste in movies with the exception of the stupid comedies I love and you hate!