Friday, May 11, 2007

8 Girls, 2 Rooms, 1 Destination

Viva Las Vegas!!

A couple of months ago my good friend, Katherine invited me to join her, her cousin and 6 other friends for a girls trip to Vegas. Turns out that one of the girls was celebrating her 30th b-day and one of the 8 had to drop out so they were looking for a replacement. I hadn't planned on going to Vegas until much later in the year, if even then, but when she invited me I jumped at the chance. Katherine and I have vacationed together in the past (a cruise and weekend trip to N 'Awlins with Grace) so I knew I would have fun. And I did. I also had not been feeling like I was about to turn 38 (on May 21st....write that down, I expect birthday cards at the very least! ....Christy....) until this trip. I was the oldest by about 3 or 4 years. And while I might not have looked like I was that much older, my body certainly told me it was!!! All the walking we did really made my entire body ache...I need a vacation from my vacation.

We arrived in Vegas on Saturday, May 5th, the night of the big fight. I'm a De La Hoya fan, and after having watched the 24/7 HBO series on the fight..I was really wanting to watch it to see him smack that cocky SOB around. Ok..so I didn't really think Oscar would beat him down, but I figured he would come extremely prepared and would at least not get knocked out himself. I didn't see the fight but I heard it was a decision which meant that Floyd did not whoop up on anyone's ass. And that pleases me to no end. Anyway... two of my high school friends are in Vegas, Lisa and Alison, so they met me at my hotel, Treasure Island, and we headed over to The Venetian for appetizers and drinks, and drinks and drinks. We hadn't seen each other since 1987. Our 20 year reunion is coming up in June (more blogging on that later) and they are both coming and I can't wait to spend more time catching up with them.

Alison, Me, Lisa
The next day something in the air or the pressure was really kicking my buttocks and I had a sinus headache that would not go away. We walked and walked all day and came back for much needed disco naps before going out that night. But when it was time to get up, Lisa wasn't having it...my head was throbbing and I was completely congested so I stayed in and slept while the girls went out. I must have really needed the sleep because I slept hard and long.

By Monday morning I decided to take migraine medicine to see if that would knock out my sinus headache and it did the trick. So I partied with the girls that night. We went to the Voodoo Lounge at Rio -- it had a gorgeous rooftop view of the strip, but the crowd was a little more mature than we wanted so we had our one drink and headed to Jet at the Mirage (if you go to Vegas and want to party....buy the tickets from the street vendors cuz it is worth it! The cover charges are ridiculous and you'll save money, just read the coupons entirely to check for things like "free till 10pm", etc.) Jet was jumpin'!!! Normally, I don't dance until I've had a little alcohol in my system but when we got in line they were jammin to the Bee Gee's (and if you know me, you know I love me some Bee Gees)...and then they went into some old school rap. The music was "off the chain" and I was getting my groove and drink on...but at $10 a pop I was drinking very slowly. I was having a great time checking out the scenery (aka MEN) and this guy walks up and says "I was wondering if you'd like to dance", in about 1 second flat I handed my purse to Blanca and said "watch this I'm gonna go dance" and made my way to the dance floor. The only complaint about this club was that it was not terribly big, or it was just way overcrowded so dancing could be hazardous if you weren't watching out for the drunk folk who were stepping on toes and dancing all up in your space. This guy's name was "Sed"...yes...he even spelled it for me. Very tall, very cute, very muscular....and apparently very young. While we were dancing he was making hand gestures and he then took my hand and positioned it into the same gesture. Afraid I was throwin gang signs I asked him what it meant. He said it was his fraternity. Fraternity!! Now, granted...he didn't look like he was still in college, so maybe he's in his late 20's and still very proud of his fraternity. I don't know, and I don't really care. Lisa snagged a young hotty!!
The weather was perfect, the company was great and we laughed the entire time. But we weren't laughing when our plane hit bad turbulence on the flight back home and took not one but two dips and scared the crap out of everyone. Ok, we did laugh...afterwards when we knew we were safe!

















3 comments:

Rob & Christy said...

How Fun! While I'm A LOT younger than you are, I still don't have that kind of fun anymore, even though I love to dance. I'd love to go to all those places in Vegas, but you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming from the blackjack table.

Bee Gees? My gosh I would have loved to see that crowd. :)

Lisa said...

The funny thing about them playing the Bee Gee's is that it was SO not a Bee Gee's generation. Voodoo Lounge would have been a more appropriate crowd for the Bee Gee's. But good music surpasses generations!

Too bad Jamie wasn't on this trip with me. I still feel bad that we didn't party with her like we planned to when we went last September...but I learned a lesson...no big dinners before you are supposed to party cuz a full stomach makes Lisa very sleepy!

Jamie said...

MAN i want to go back to Vegas and party! I had fun but i still wish we could have gone to a club!