Saturday, April 28, 2007

Is it safe to have your nose waxed?

No, seriously....aren't we supposed to have some hair in our nose? My roomie, Grace, first had her nose waxed a couple of weeks ago and told me she could breathe better afterwards and that not all of her nose hair was gone..just the little bits around the opening of her nose. I was completely happy with my normal nose-hair grooming routine of using small scissors to trim the ones that get unruly and try to get some sun. But today I had an appointment with the lady who does Grace's face (facials, eyebrow waxing, microdermabrasion)...she's a woman I've heard of for years because she was the "face lady" who was in the hair salon I have frequented for years. She always had customers waiting to have something plucked, waxed or acid-peeled so I figured she was good at what she did. And I needed to have my face threaded for my upcoming trip to Vegas.

If you never had your face threaded lemme explain. It's an old middle eastern custom of removing facial hair using two or three pieces of thread...somehow they intertwine as they go over your face, thus grasping at your fine facial hair and pulling them out. If you thought "ouch", you would be correct. It hurts. Especially over sensitive areas (cheeks, above and below your mouth, chin) but your face starts to numb and it becomes pretty tolerable. I first had it done a couple of months ago (by someone else) and was amazed how much of a difference it made. You have NO idea how much facial hair you have until you feel it landing on your face...which is kinda gross. Anyway..today I gave this new lady a try and while she was working on my eyebrows (she did a GREAT job, aside from one stray hair sticking straight out...how come they never catch that one hair sticking straight out?) and she asked if I had seen the nose wax stuff before as she's holding it above my face. I told her I had not but that Grace told me about it, so she then shoves it up my nostril. I didn't really have a chance to object so I guess it's a good thing that I was willing to give it a try. After it dried she proceeded to yank this big glob of green wax out of my nose...there was a little bit of pain as you would expect but not too bad. But when she did the other nostril, things didn't go as smoothly. She went to give it one good hard yank and it didn't budge....it felt like she ripped my nose off. The wax was so far up my nose that she had to use tweezers to pull it out. She said that sometimes happens the first time....uh huh, whatever. But I could feel a difference...I felt cleaner.

Once I was out in my car and in the daylight I decided to take a closer peek. I-have-no-nose-hairs....at-all. It's all bald up in my nose and it looks unnatural. I guess only time will tell if those nose hairs serve a purpose or not. Will dust bother me more and cause me to sneeze all the time? Will knats fly up my nose? I dunno....but I'll let you know if something unusual happens.


10 comments:

Rob & Christy said...

All I have to say is GROSS.

You know, those nose hairs are there for a reason; they are supposed to keep the dust out and other stuff. I bet when you have a runny nose it's going to come out like water out of a lawn hose! :)

Lisa said...

I already deal with that because I've got a cold or allergies...something that has got me all congested and yucky. I'll handle the runny nose the way I always have, I'll just shove some tissue up my nose and leave it! Works like a charm. Not attractive, but when you're at home who cares?

Mike said...

I am laughing my ass off!!!! I have never heard of a "nose waxing"!!! Of course my trips to the beauty shop are few and far between - last lady hairdresser was an angry Ukranian who was getting chewed out by the owner WHILE doing my hair!! That was two years ago and before that, I had an owner of a different salon (upscale, thought I'd treat myself)who had his hair (used to be down past the middle of his back)cut very short...and I was his first customer after! He kept looking at himself in the mirror saying "I can't believe I just did that!" So, I'm pretty gun shy now. I have been interested in trying microderm abrasion.....if I can find a HAPPY person to do it! :) Susan

Lil' Sis Jamie said...

Nose hairs are there for a reason..like when a bug flies in your nose. I like your blog it's cute.....Christy's is boring and old looking....sorry LOVE YA BOTH!!

Anonymous said...

The ways the come up with to get people to spend their money. How much did you pay for that?

Danae

Donna said...

I'm laughing my ass off with Mike. God help you if you get an ingrown hair up there. The hair is there for a reason and if it gets that unruly.....well thats what they invented nose hair trimmers for! Love ya!!

Kevin said...

That is funny. I'd never even think of it. If you've ever plucked that one hair that just doesn't want to let go the first time, why would you subject yourself to that punishment.

Loops said...

Hey Lisa... I can't believe you actually went thru with that!! CRAZZZY:) I dunno, I think I'll live with my nose hair and just trim it here and there when needed!
Nice blog... I think it's a great idea. Way to go :)

Scott & Malissa said...

Now you know that I am not going to be able to keep my mouth shut on this one. Since I am in my 2nd semester of nursing at UTHSC, I can give you the skinny on your nose hairs. So, here goes...Nasal hair "olfactory cilia" consists of the usually small, hair-like cells in the nose, especially near the nostrils. Healthy cilia beat in a coordinated backward-&-forward motion on an average of sixteen times per second. Biologically, the cilia act as a filter and keep dust and dirt out of the nasal passages that lead to your lungs. They also draw liquid mucus up from the epithelium by capillary action, and thus help to maintain humidity in the air passages by trapping humidity as one exhales, while evaporation of trapped moisture on the hairs humidifies inhaled air. Loss of nasal cilia has been linked to increased severity of asthma, seasonal allergy and atopic dermatitis (skin irritation caused by hereditary hyper-sensitivity).
So Lisa, please stop removing your nose hair. It does serve a purpose or GOD would not have put it there to begin with. :-P

Love Ya!

Lisa said...

Ingrown hairs? I never thought of that!! But no worries....I will not be doing this again. My nose is still tender inside and since I'm still blowing my nose 100 times a day (ok, maybe not THAT much!) because of whatever ailment I had last week, I get a constant reminder of how sensitive our noses are. Plus, who knew that our nose hairs had such an important job as Malissa informed me?

Oh, and Danae...I'm not sure how much it actually cost me. It was one price for that, my eyebrows and the threading..though her pamphlet states that she charges $22 to wax both the ears and nose.